Canon EOS R3, Canon’s most technologically advanced camera yet!
When the Canon EOS R3 development announcement dropped back in April of this year, it caused quite a bit of excitement with its impressive feature list and now, with the official release, we get to find out how impressive it really is.
In it’s press release, Canon states that the EOS R3 was “designed and developed to meet the standards of professionals like those on the sidelines at sporting events or nature and wildlife photographers, the EOS R3 sets a new benchmark for the EOS R camera system.”
At it’s core, the R3 features a brand new, Canon-developed, 24.1 megapixel, back-illuminated stacked CMOS sensor that when combined with the DIGIC X processor, will deliver “a high-speed readout allowing for continuous blackout-free shooting at up to 30 fps in electronic (silent) shutter mode and up to 12 fps in mechanical shutter, with minimum rolling electronic shutter distortion.”
Thanks to the new sensor/processor combo, the R3 also features higher sensitivity and light-capturing efficiency with a native ISO range of 100-102,400, expandable up to 204,800 when shooting stills.
The R3 also features improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF II, (like the EOS R5 & EOS R6 cameras) that boasts 1053 AF points and evolved EOS iTR tracking down to EV -7.5 for subject (eye, face, head and animals) tracking.
Additionally, it also features a “vehicle priority tracking” mode that uses a deep learning, vehicle detection algorithm that can identify and track the helmet of race car/motorcycle drivers as well as the ability to automatically prioritize tracking the vehicle or the driver inside.
To keep things rock steady, the R3 features up to 8 stops of in-body image stabilization (IBIS) shake correction.
The R3 also features a new. 5.76-million-dot and 120fps blackout free electronic viewfinder (EVF) that integrates Eye-Control autofocus, a first for a Canon camera.
With Eye-Control AF, the camera provides photographers with the ability to select the initial area for AF tracking simply by looking at that area through the viewfinder.
With Eye input AF and Servo AF activated, the camera will then focus on and track moving subjects within that area of the frame.
When Face-Detect + Tracking is active, it will continue to follow moving subjects around the entire active AF area.
The R3 also packs impressive video specs as well and is capable of shooting 6K 60p RAW and 4K 120p 10-bit uncropped video with Canon Log 3 support, in addition to the possibility for oversampled 4K and RAW movie internal recording.
It also offers Canon Log 3, BT.709 and BT.2020 colour gamuts and cinema gamut help to maintain colour and tonal consistency.
The coordinated 5-axis IBIS provides operator motion or shaking correction even when using a lens without built-in Optical IS.
The R3 features a new “multi-function shoe” input on the top that supports accessories such as the new Speedlite EL-1 as well as the new ST-E10 transmitter, new external mic and new smartphone link adapter.
- High Image Quality with a Back-illuminated Stacked 24.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC X Image Processor with an ISO range of 100-102400; Expandable to 204800
- High-speed continuous shooting of up to approx. 30 fps with electronic (silent) shutter and up to 12 fps with Mechanical Shutter
- Capable of recording 6K 60P RAW or 4K 120p 10-bit (uncropped) with Canon Log 3
- In-body Image Stabilizer can provide up to 8 stops of Shake Correction
- Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 1,053 AF Points featuring Vehicle Detection as well as Eye, Face, Head, and Animal Detection
- Next Generation Multi-Function Shoe plus Speedlite EL-1 synchronization
- The First EOS Digital camera to feature Eye Control AF
- Canon’s next-generation Multi-Function Shoe that is compatible with a variety of accessories including the Speedlite EL-1, and new accessories such as the ST-E10 Speedlite Transmitter, External Mic and Smartphone Link Adapter
- One-piece magnesium alloy design, integrating the body with a vertical grip section
- Weather and dust resistance equivalent to EOS-1D camera models.
- Mobile File Transmitter application for iOS® and Android® devices allows photographers to transfer their images quickly and easily without the need for wired LAN equipment
- Built-in Wired LAN, 5GHz Wi-Fi®, USB and Bluetooth® technology
- Dual-card slots, supporting one CF express and one UHS-II SD
Image Credits: Canon Canada